2019: The Year of CBD!
What’s the deal with CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) has been showing up seemingly everywhere the last few months. But what is it?
CBD oil is made by extracting the CBD chemical from the cannabis plant, then diluting it with a carrier oil such as hempseed, jojoba or coconut oil. It is gaining some momentum within the health and wellness world with more scientific studies finding that it may help treat a variety of ailments like chronic pain and anxiety.
Why do we love CBD so much?
- Pain Relief– Scientific studies have shown that CBD may help to reduce chronic pain by reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- Helps with Mood Disorders– CBD oil has been scientifically shown to reduce anxiety and depression in both human and animal studies. CBD oil has even been used to safely treat insomnia and anxiety in children with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Acne Reduction- Although acne is caused by numerous factors including genetics, bacteria, and diet, new scientific studies tout that CBD may help treat acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to reduce sebum production.
- Neuroprotective Properties- One scientific study showed immense potential in CBD treating neurological disorders such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Several studies have also shown CBD improved quality of life in people with Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Heart Health- Recent research has linked CBD with several benefits for the heart and circulatory system, including the ability to lower blood pressure. Additionally, several animal studies have shown that CBD may help reduce inflammation and cell death associated with heart disease due to its powerful antioxidant and stress-reducing properties.
- Diabetes Prevention- In one study, scientists showed that CBD treatment in mice reduced the incidence of diabetes by 56% and significantly reduced inflammation.
Will I get high?
A common misconception many new CBD oil users have is that since CBD is derived from the cannabis and hemp plants that using it will get them high. While CBD is from the cannabis and hemp plants, it does not contain any psychoactive properties. Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is the main psychoactive chemical, out of 104 chemicals, that causes the sensation of getting high that is often associated with marijuana use. CBD is not a psychoactive chemical, making it the ideal option for natural pain and symptom relief without the mind-altering effects of marijuana. No high here!
So, where do I start?
At Alvarado we recommend to start using CBD by making minor swaps to some of your beauty staples to work CBD seamlessly into your daily routine. One great starting place would be to relieve some aches and minor pain.
With Life Flower Care CBD Goddess Relief Balm let menstrual cramps be melted away with this vegan, hemp-infused healing balm designed with the feminine cycle and body in mind! Infused with organic mugwort and a cleansed and charged Rose Quartz this balm is an easy addition to any woman’s bathroom cabinet for that difficult time of the month.
Or maybe you occasionally wake up going into a busy day with a nervous mind, ruminating thoughts or paranoia. Naturally relieve anxiety with Life Flower’s Anxiety Elixir. With a handcrafted soothing blend of essential oils, herbs and crystals this medicated roll on oil helps ease the mind and lets the body relax.
Making time for yourself can sometimes seem like a daunting task, so make it fun! A great way to do so would be swapping your standard bath bomb for one of our Life Flower Care CBD bath bombs. What better way to unwind and show your body some love then with a handcrafted, organic and nourishing bath bomb? Sign us up for that kind of self-care!
Here at Alvarado Institute of Skincare we have the core belief that Mother Nature has our back! Nature has been divinely designed with solutions for humans to live our best and most meaningful lives, and by using those solutions we can be our healthiest and happiest selves!
Written by Ashley Cochrane